Sunday, June 12, 2016

Music Time

Let's face it, when we are trying to call kids' attention to ourselves, we have to act like complete fools/clowns/ psychos/obnoxiously energetic people!

AND IT'S SO WORTH IT!:)

 Here are a few things to remember about Music Time while in Nursery:

*For the most part, they are more about watching and observing than participating. You may have some willing to copy you the first time, but most of them may take months of uncomfortable stare-downs before they'll actually show they've been watching and know exactly what to do. Don't get discouraged if this happens! Just be prepared to do a lot of solos;)

*Make a place for them to gather. 
If you just sit down and tell them to come by you, some of them may not get it. GIVE THEM A VISUAL! Lay out a blanket and have them sit with you.
1) Place a hoola hoop on the floor, sit on the outside and put your toes inside of the hoop. Call them to you to do the same. "Tickle tickle, I got your toes!" This will call their attention and soon EVERYONE will want their toes touched.
2) Carpet squares. Place them on the floor in a circle and begin jumping from square to square. They will scurry over to you to join in SO fast! After a few rounds, pick a square and sit.
3) Blanket. Just like a picnic. Everybody come have a picnic. You can even pretend to eat food to get their attention to you. (Make the movements SO over-played! The more enthusiastic you are about play, the more they will want to participate.)

*Do not introduce every song. 
Just hop from one to the other. Have all of your props for each song within reach so you can hand them out quickly. The kids are too young for explanations. Begin singing the new song directly after the one you just finished and they'll jump in.

*If there are multiple adults in the room, make EVERYONE get down with you!
The kids WILL come around if they see it's what EVERYONE is doing. Peer pressure at it's finest;P

I'm going to walk you through some of my favorite nursery music time selections. I typically pick 3-4 songs per Sunday.

Song #1: The Wheels on the Bus


Just in case some of you don't know the tune OR the actions, here you go. Take note of her facial expression.....you will be doing this subconsciously in a few weeks! BA HA!

Print off a steering wheel for each of the kids.Color (color the middle of it RED for it to look like a horn)& laminate them ( OR glue them onto cardboard or cereal box cardboard) and cut them out (including the inside portions so that they can actually hold onto it like a real steering wheel). 



Song #2: Do as I'm doing

CLICK HERE to take you to the music for this song. 
You don't need any props for this one. Just a whole lot of energy.
Some actions that are good for the little ones are:
- Hopping
- Sway side to side
- Flap your arms
- March
- Ballerina Dance (going around in circle with hands above your head)
- Clapping (they LOVE this one!)
- Pat your tummy
-Shake your head
- Wiggle your fingers with arms extended (tickle fingers)

Keep them simple! These guys are too little for over-complication!

In Primary, you are able to go around asking children what they'd like to do. In nursery, don't do it! They're better with just following than coming up with ideas AND they don't understand the whole "taking turns", "raise your hand" bid. Just lead them. From action to action, verse to verse, make it flow. They'll copy. 
Also, don't make this one too long. 3-4 actions should be plenty. Then move onto another song.

Song #3: Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam

CLICK HERE for the music.
You can just squat and when they say "BEAM" you jump while singing this song or make some props for, remember, each of the kids. They're too little to understand taking turns without meltdowns. 

Some of the options for props are:
- Colored suns on Popsicle sticks
- Mirrors 


Song #4: Twinkle Twinkle little Star
- Bring some flashlights to shine on the ceiling as you are singing this song. If you're feeling REALLY adventurous, bring a few glow sticks.

Song #5: Rain is falling all around
This is a favorite of mine! CLICK HERE for the music & lyrics. 
I LOVE what this woman has done in her own ward for this song. She uses a spray bottle and sprays the air above the kids while she sings this song. I'm sure they mostly squeal rather than sing, but don't worry! Pretty soon, they'll know these words by heart just from listening to you. 

Song #5: Roll your hands
Instead of just doing "Roll your Hands", mix up the words a bit to make it fun yet still end with the reverent folded arms.

"Roll your Hands, Roll your Hands
So tiny, so tiny, so tiny like me, (pointer fingers circling each other)
Then fold your arms like me like me,
Then fold your arms like me."


"Roll your Hands, Roll your Hands
Do the Hula, do the Hula, do the Hula like me.
Then fold your arms like me like me,
Then fold your arms like me."

"Roll your Hands, Roll your Hands
Up high in the sky(stretch hands up), down low by the snow(bend down and touch toes).
Then fold your arms like me like me,
Then fold your arms like me."


"Roll your Hands, Roll your Hands
Clap 2 times, (Clap Clap), Clap 1 time (Clap), Clap 2 times like me (Clap clap)
Then fold your arms like me like me,
Then fold your arms like me."


"Roll your Hands, Roll your Hands
to your left, to your right, to your knees like me.
Then fold your arms like me like me,
Then fold your arms like me."







These are just some of the songs that I love to use in Nursery. Stay posted as I will be adding some as I use them!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment