Saturday, June 25, 2016

Nursery Lesson # 24

I Will Follow the Prophet


For this lesson, I created a hand puppet of Noah. 
(My daughter calls him Grandpa Noah;)


Here are the pattern pieces if you would like to make your own. 





You will need 4 pieces of nude colored felt (main pieces/bodies), 2 grey pieces (hair), 1 Noah's jacket colored felt (your choice), 1 white felt piece, & 1 felt piece Noah's wife dress (your choice of color). 

I'm not good at doing step-by-step tutorials. So, basic idea, you'll need to sew on the appliques on each body BEFORE sewing the two main pieces together (sew everything on the top layer first before sewing around the edges of the two pieces to combine). Remember, don't sew the bottom or else your hand won't go through!



Lesson

Prior to the lesson, scatter building blocks on the other side of the accordion wall divider and close it so that they cannot see them. 
ANYWHO, I am going to start out the lesson by bringing Noah out from behind my back and have him wave to all of the kids, blow kisses, hug them, etc. 

GRAB their attention!

Proceed to have him start crying. MAKE HIM WAIL!!!!! Ask him what is the matter. 

N: " Well, the other people are not being nice and there's going to be a lot of rain.... (start singing) the rain comes down and the floods come up..."

You:" Who told you there would be a lot of rain?"

N: "Jesus did. He said that there would be so much rain that the whole world would be like a HUGE swimming pool!And...and....you know what else he told me to do?"

You: "WHAT!?!?"

N: "Here I'll whisper it to you.......Shhhhhhhh,  (let the kids have fun with the shhh-ing)......A BIG BOAT!!!!"

Have him hold his hands to his face in surprise.

N: "I need some help making my boat, can you help me get the wood together and make a boat??"

Help the kids go look for a block to bring to NOAH (not you, let his hands do it) and he starts to build. Once done, close the wall again.

N: "Whew! That was a lot of work! Thank you all so much!" 

Have him high five the kids while your other nursery instructor goes and spreads animals on the floor (toys OR print outs) of the other room (where the blocks were).

N: "OH NO!!!!"

You: "What's the matter now?!"

N: "Jesus told me that I have to get a Mommy and a Daddy of every animal to put on the boat! That's a lot of animals! Can you help me again?"

You: "YES!!!!!" (Bob your head....the little ones will mimic you)

Open the wall and let them gather the animals like before to give to Noah in the "boat".

N: "Oh thank you so much!"

Let him hug the kids, wave bye, etc.

You: "We should always listen to prophets!"

Put Noah down and start to sing "Follow the Prophet" ONLY CHORUS, while banging your hands on your lap. On "Don't go astray" shake your finger adamantly. "He knows the way" nod your head with your arms up in the air. 

For closing the lesson, I downloaded an app on my phone that let's us hear the different animal noises. I'm going to play a few and let the kids listen, try to identify them and we all try making the noise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment